Make a difference. Volunteer with CLWA.
The work of the Canandaigua Lake Watershed Association is driven by thousands of volunteer hours each year. We cannot succeed in our mission to preserve and protect Canandaigua Lake without the support of dedicated and talented volunteers like yourself.
Check out the current volunteer opportunities listed below, and consider getting more involved with us!
Underwater Historical Asset Volunteer Needed!
The Canandaigua Lake Watershed Association is looking for a volunteer(s) to help facilitate the application of the Canandaigua Lake shipwrecks, the Onnalinda and the Seneca Chief to the National Register of Historic Places.
Duties and responsibilities for the assignment include:
1. Serve as Point of Contact (POC) for the entire process, with the support of a CLWA Working Group
- Process consists of:
- Research of archival information on the two shipwrecks – newspaper and existing written articles (CLWA will assist in this endeavor)
- Familiarization of the registration process
- Conduct a review of similar applications (all on-line), see this link for more information:
- Attending a training session conducted by Joseph Zarzynski (in person or over Zoom)
- Completing the 8 plus page National form (CLWA will provide all supplemental information – above and below photographs, measurements, drawings, and geographic coordinate location). More information can be found here.
- Process consists of:
2. Submitting the National Register form to the New York State Board for Historic Preservation for review
- Serve as POC for the state review, More information can be found here.
The right volunteer candidate will possess an interest in preserving our local historical assets, alongside strong research and writing skills. A small CLWA working group consisting of board members, community volunteers, and watershed staff will support and assist in this endeavor.
Interested? Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will set up a time to share more about this project.
Outreach Committee Members Needed!
If you care about the health of Canandaigua Lake and Watershed and recognize the critical role that plays in the quality of our own lives, consider joining our Outreach Committee!
CLWA Outreach Committee volunteers focus on educating the public about watershed and lake topics for the purpose of building a sense of responsibility and community toward lake stewardship. To accomplish this, we host a variety of programming. We offer Viewpoints lectures several times a year, workshops for hands-on learning, lead our Lake Friendly Living Campaign, and represent CLWA at community events.
Volunteers meet once a month and help to:
- seek guest speakers and plan programming
- assist with reviewing educational outreach materials
- collaborate with other organizations to build relationships and form partnerships
- play a large role in engaging community members in lake friendly living
We welcome any help and especially are looking for Lake Champions to promote Lake Friendly Living in your own neighborhoods.
ADDITIONAL VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Let us know how you’d like to help by filling out the below contact form. We will reach out as volunteer opportunities arise!
CLWA strives to educate watershed stakeholders using a variety of media. Do you have a passion for storytelling and effective communications? We need you!
CLWA can always use help with our mailings, assembling training packages, or help coordinating events. It’s rewarding, and FUN to connect with other lake-loving folks!