2017 Annual Appeal
CLWA has developed a list of community projects that will enhance the beauty, enjoyment, and environmental health of the lake and its watershed. We are asking you to assist us in these endeavors. The projects we hope you will support in 2017:
- CONTINUATION OF THE AQUATIC INVASIVE SPECIES PROGRAM: Though much work has been done, the threat of Aquatic Invasive Species is here to stay. Funding supports placement of full-time stewards at the lake’s two busiest launch sites, educational signage, and disposal stations.
- SUCKER BROOK 5&20 WETLAND RESTORATION PROJECT: Sucker Brook has been identified as one of the watershed’s most polluted tributaries. CLWA will support a wetland restoration project spearheaded by the Canandaigua Lake Watershed Council and the Town of Canandaigua that is designed to divert 20% of the stream’s flow into a constructed wetland to filter contaminants and to retain and control flood waters.
- WATERSHED POLLUTION PREVENTION INITIATIVE: CLWA has developed a series of educational “Best Practices” Workshops tailored to educate the agricultural community, landowners, and community planners on how they can help reduce water quality problems throughout the watershed.
- HEMLOCK WOOLLY ADELGID PROGRAMMING: CLWAwill continue HWA monitoring and education efforts, and develop a program that will allow landowners to gain access to affordable treatment options, and support the development of insectaries for bio-controls.
- ENHANCED WATER QUALITY MONITORING: CLWA will collaborate with watershed stakeholder groups to gain a more thorough understanding of blue green algae dynamics on Canandaigua Lake through an enhanced water quality monitoring program for 2017. Funding will support increased sampling, tributary monitoring, an expanded secchi disk program and the addition of two CLWA sampling sites.
- SUPPORT TO THE FINGER LAKES LAND TRUST:Preservation of natural lands in the watershed serves the land protection goals of the Finger Lakes Land Trust and the water quality goals of CLWA. CLWA will assist FLLT in acquiring lands and easements in the watershed on your behalf.
We are asking for your support—above and beyond what your membership dues already help us accomplish. Please join with us in expanding our efforts to preserve, protect, and promote the Canandaigua Lake watershed.